Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Buyer beware...

Sometimes when you see something that is at a great price, you really should step back and look to see why. I should have done this last night on a trip to Target. Whenever I go to Target, or any store really, I like to check out the DVDs and the video games. Target also has a discount area, where older games that are not selling anymore, so I went over to peruse the area once my real shopping was done. I have picked up some good deals before.

Here in the our story I need to remind you that I am a huge DC fan, particularly Batman. So, when a game comes out that has Batman in it I will generally give it a go and then sell it back to GameStop for a discount. So, looking through the games, I see that Mortal Kombat vs. DC is discounted. I can clearly see the tags and that this game has been discounted not once, but 3 other times. That should have been the red flag. But I was excited about the price and that I could play as Batman.

With my fresh purchase in hand, I descended into the new game area and popped the disc in. Now, the graphics in the cut scenes are pretty good. I thought they detailed the heroes and villains good. They looked buff, like they came from the pages of the comics. The women, like Catwoman and Wonder Woman seemed to have gotten an upgrade, if you know what I mean. But like many books the cover can be deceiving. This good looking cut scene would only lead to badness of epic proportions.

The voice acting is horrible. Absolutely the worst I have heard in a game in a long time. All the heroes sound terrible. And in that awesome cut scene from earlier, yeah there is a part where Superman sees a car being thrown his way, and he puts his hands up AFTER the car goes by. Now that is bad. Well, the fighting must be good, right? This is a Mortal Kombat game after all. Nope. The fighting is awful. Not inspired. The moves that the heroes get are not just bad, but they are not done in a convenient way that you can pull them off consistently. I was so disappointed that I took the game out and put it immediately in the pile to be sold off. Ugh.

The morale of the story I guess is look how many times something has been knocked down in price before buying. So buyer beware when picking up this game. It is not as fun as you would think. Luckily I also picked up Prototype to keep me busy. But that is a review for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment